Sunday 9 January 2011

Great Winter Run - hard going!

Hi there,
This is my first blog since being asked to be one of the featured runners on the Women's 10k site. I'm not the fastest of runners - but I really enjoy it. I've been running for a few years and have done several 10ks and did my first half last year. 2010 was my first time doing the Women's 10k and I loved it - it's a great race and there is so much support on the day.
I'm really excited about being asked to be part of the race and hope I can encourage others to take up the challenge.
I signed up to do the Great Winter Run a few months ago - and as a bit of hill work is involved I wanted to keep training over the festive season. However, despite the best of intentions of keeping running throughout December I really struggled to get out during the snow and ice. I'm not very sure footed so had to miss out on my usual road runs - I did manage to do a few track sessions at Kelvin Hall with Glasgow Running Network. The weather picked up but then I got flu and a chesty cough so my fiance wouldn't let me go out in case I made myself worse - probably a wise man! I went for a run on Thursday nite with the network but really struggled - so was dreading the race on Saturday. To add to my woes - the snow came back on Friday night and was particularly bad in the east.
The race went ahead on a contingency course - which was an out and back rather than the usual loop round Arthur's Seat. It was pretty slushy and slidy underfoot (and still a bit of a hill to contend with) - but I managed to finish in 33.02.
It was a great atmosphere though - Liz McColgan started the race and there was a great turnout and lots of supporters out for the runners. Thanks to my friend Sam who stood about in the cold waiting for me. We treated ourselves to a nice lunch after the race.
So that's the first race of the season done - out with the network on Tuesday night. Hopefully the ice will be gone by then!!
Pamela May xx

No comments:

Post a Comment