Sunday 23 January 2011

Fiona: Devil's Burden

Hi all!

I ended up doing nadda after my last post before the Devil's Burden... 

MAN that is a tough race. My leg was literally 2 miles straight uphill and then rolling hills for one mile, followed by another half mile directly and steeply downhill. Today my ankles are starting to majorly ache and I bet by tomorrow it'll be sore. I also did nothing today. The first two miles felt like forever, and when I reached the halfway pt I was thinking 'are you kidding me?!'.


Its also very much a local's race. Unless you know the hills the navigation is challenging (every racer is required to carry a map, compass and whistle and wear full body cover). I almost got lost once, only prevented from doing so by another kindly participant who yelled at me and gestured. 2 of the 3 teams Glasgow Uni entered got lost on leg 3 (with my poor friend Stephen ending up doing 16k over 2 hours).

In retrospect I enjoy that I DID it, but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it. Unless you're a serious hill runner its just tough, though it can teach you a thing or two about running through pain. 

Fiona McG

No comments:

Post a Comment