Tuesday 10 April 2012

Week 13

Something strange seems to have happened to be over the last couple of weeks – I suddenly am running faster than I’ve ever managed before!!

Had a slow start to the week, a combination of working late, meeting friends, and strange snow, meant that I didn’t manage to get out running until Thursday. Having ran my previous 5k in just under 27mins I wanted to try for another good time. However I was still amazed to run a 5k in my second best ever time (and best for a couple of years!) of 26m 24s! That was an average speed of 11.4kph, and my mile splits were 8m 36s / 8m 25s / 8m 28s!

To prove it wasn’t a fluke, I went out on Saturday for another 5k run, and pretty much equalled Thursday by doing it in 26m 26s. A part of me was disappointed that I didn’t run it quicker, but then I do tend to find I run better at night. My mile times again were fairly consistent – 8, 27s / 8m 33s / 8m 35s.

Had another rest on Sunday (too many Easter eggs to get through!) then on Monday morning I went out for a 10k run, my first for a while. Full of motivation after my 5k times over the last week, I was feeling positive for a good time. And I am very happy to report that I managed a new PB!! Ran it in 55m 30s (ave 10.8kph), that’s a minute faster than my previous PB, which I achieved at the Woman’s 10k 3 years ago! I was really struggling with the last kilometre and had to slow it right down to be able to make it to 10k, so I know I have it in me to run faster. My mile times were 8m 43s / 8m 40s / 8m 52s / 9m 3s / 9m 4s / 9m 9s so it’s clear to see that I ran the first half much faster, but my last few miles were still at a good pace!

I now feel more positive than ever that I will soon be able to run 10k in under 55mins. Hopefully I can keep going the way I have been lately and reach my goal! I am now hoping for a 5k in under 26mins as well, got to have something to aim for!!

2 comments:

  1. Claire, what a fabulous time to make this breakthrough!! Well done and good luck on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn! Was so pleased to get that time! I hope your back improves soon, your training is going great! Good luck to you on the day too.

    ReplyDelete