Sunday 1 April 2012

Cycle Track and Pollok Park

So this week I got my speed intervals up to 1K, as required on my training plan.  This was the last week of  the 3 x 3 mile runs, and involved a nice wee change of scene!

I took Monday off, then on Tuesday evening I was back on the Cycle Track, running between the Paisley 10K's 7K and 8K markers.  Nick joined me, the weather was wonderful, short sleeved lightweight top, capris, sunglasses - that part of it was brilliant!  I suppose the next thing to say is that 1K intervals are a LOT harder (and harder on my back) than 700s......and that probably means I dont need to say much else!  I did 3 runs, first and last took 5:30, and the middle one was almost 6 mins.  I had 2- 3 minutes slow jog recovery inbetween them.  With the runs to and from home, altogether a wee bit over 3 miles.

Surprisingly, although my back was quite achy, I recovered not too badly from Tuesday night, so I did a kettlebell session in the garden sunshine on Wednesday afternoon which I really enjoyed - I love training outdoors.  I definitely needed a day off on Thursday, though!  I took Friday off as well.

Saturday was another beautiful morning and Nick & I headed off to Pollok Park for the parkrun.  For those of you who dont know about it, it is a weekly, free, timed 5K run, Info at the following link.  http://www.parkrun.org.uk/glasgow/    It is a really pretty setting, if a tad 'undulating'  I was hoping that the focus on 3 mile runs over the last few weeks would have improved my parkrun performance.............and it did!! Yay!  My time was a PB -  a modest 11 seconds over my previous best, but for me the biggest thing was that I managed to run up all the hills for the first time ever! The route is tough, I believe it has the reputation of being the hardest parkrun in the UK, so I am really chuffed!

Out of the blue, I woke up this morning with a sore throat and earache, so no run today - should have been intervals, but it will be hot drinks instead.  Not prone to illness - fingers crossed it doesn't last, and I'll be back soon to report on the step up to 4.5 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment