Sunday 22 April 2012

Happier days!

Well, after the 'totally rubbish' week, happily things have been looking up a bit!  

I had another osteopath treatment on Monday, and didn't train at all that day.  On Tuesday I did a light kettlebell session - I was still feeling achy so I really didn't want to push my luck by running, but the basic kettlebell swing is a good functional exercise, great for core strength.   By Wednesday I thought it was time to head out and went for a 5K jog.  I didn't try to push it at all, so I was pleased that I did the route in a wee bit under 30 mins. 

I took Thursday and Saturday off, and ran on Friday and Sunday.  This week's runs should have been 6 miles, but having written last week off, I decided to stick to 4.5 miles.  The training plan said speed intervals, but again I didn't think my back would cope with that, so I just did  ordinary runs.  Both of them were fairly hilly, so there was a challenge there, but I just ran at what felt a comfortable speed.  The first route was 4.3 miles in 42 minutes, and the second was 4.58miles in 43:21.  My back was achy after both runs, but not too bad.  I was pleased, especially with Sunday's which averaged around 9:30 minute miles.  I decided not to go to kettlebell class on Friday evening - a quit while you're ahead type of decision!!!

So my come back week has been pretty successful I think.  I now need to balance up what the training plan says and what I think my body can do.....so my revised intention is to run the plan's distances, ie 1 x 3 miles and 2 x 6 miles, each of the next two weeks, but not to attempt to achieve the plan's guideline speeds.  I might need to reassess that, but we'll see how it goes.  I have another treatment session in a week's time, so fingers crossed that will keep me on the straight and narrow!

Hope you all watched the London marathon - inspirational!  In particular two Scots - Freya Murray finishing in 2 hours 28 min, and Paisley's Gemma Rankin in an outstanding PB of 2 hours 43 mins.

Speak to you soon x



No comments:

Post a Comment