Monday 5 March 2012

Week 8

Well I think its official, Spring is here! The proof of this is that I have finally ditched the running tights and gone out in my shorts! This is definitely my favourite time of year for running, when the sun is shining but it’s not too hot outside!

My week started off with Spin class at Glasgow Club Easterhouse. Class was as enjoyable and challenging as always! I do think with Spin classes that it never gets easier, as you just turn the resistance up more on the bike!
Tuesday I did my Tase Boe Abs & Glutes dvd in the house. Wednesday and Thursday had the night off!
Friday night went to Glasgow Club Whitehill and had a weights session. I really like the new gym there. It’s fantastic size and a good range of free weights and kettle bells as well at the usual machines!

Saturday I took part in the Combat Stress 5k at Glasgow Green. It was a great day and I was fairly happy with my time of 28mins 28sec (ave speed 10.6kpm). The main thing however that I took from the day was the fact that so many kids took part! They honestly looked like they were having a great time and didn’t care at all how long it took them. Most of them sprinted off way too fast at the start and so came to a stop after a few hundred metres, however they just seemed to have so much fun, and I have to admit it made me jealous to watch as I was plodding alone at my steady pace! There were girls skipping with their arms linked together, groups of boys running and laughing, and the best of all was when a girl stopped to walk and her two friends ran back for her. Really made me think about how running should be a fun hobby and I shouldn’t get so hung up on mile splits etc! Saying that, my mile splits were 8m54s, 9m24s, 9m06s, so I was pretty pleased with that!

Sunday morning I went out for another long plod, and did 10k in 59m 13s, ave speed 10.1kpm. It was a lovely day for it and trying to take what I’d learned from Saturday, I tried not to bother too much about my speed and just enjoy it. My mile splits were 9m39s, 9m 28s, 9m 29s, 9m 36s, 9m 54s and then 9m 14s, I clearly had left a fair bit in reserve for my final mile! I am really encouraged by the fact that this year so far I have ran a few runs over 6miles, plus three 10k runs, two of which are under the hour. Getting cautiously optimistic that if I can keep it up I may be able to break the 55min barrier for the 10k for the first time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment