Wednesday 21 March 2012

I feel the need.....the need for speed!!

Hope you all recognised Tom Cruise's quote from Top Gun!!!

Ok, so this is the week when the speed interval training starts.  Feeling quite enthused about it, because of Sunday's fast run.  I found it very hard, but my average speed per mile improved by about 1/2 a minute on what its been of late, to 9:33.  That gives a 10K finish time under an hour, still a bit short of my  PB - but going in the right direction, so fingers crossed.

The run distances this week are still just 3 miles each, but I was a bit nervous of diving straight into the plan's suggested 1K intervals because of my recovering back injury. I kept my Monday kettlebell session light and decided to be a bit cautious on this first session, which I did on Tuesday, and go for 400 metre intervals with a 400m recovery jog. 

What that meant in reality was running back and forwards along a measured length of Cycle Track.  I did 4 intervals, my times for these were pretty consistent at 2:02 - 2:05. In total that was 3.2K (about 2miles), and the jog from home and back brought the total up to 3 miles.   The plan says that during the recovery jog it doesn't matter how slow you go, but you shouldn't give in to the temptation to walk.  That was a tall order at the end of the last 400, but the thought of my improving stamina kept me going!!

Still to come, hills on Thursday, kettlebells on Friday and more intervals on Sunday, I'll let you know how they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment