Monday 19 March 2012

Ups and downs!

Not all plain sailing this week.  I think I maybe didn't listen to my body quite soon enough on Sunday last week, as I started this week with a bit of a sore back.  A bit worrying given that I've only been back to up 3 runs for the last two weeks.  Didn't train at all on Monday, had a sports massage on Tuesday and didn't do anything then either.

By Wednesday my back was definitely improving so I reckoned it was safe to go out.  This week's sessions are all 3 miles, one is a jog and two are 'fast' runs.  A big weakness for me is hills, so I'm planning that the 3 mile jog each week is actually going to be a hill session, and that was what I did on Wednesday.  Near where I live there is a 1K loop, with a sharp hill on one side and a long incline on the other, so I did it twice in each direction.  With the run there and back it is about 5K. Today's time was 30min 42 sec - fingers crossed that I'll take a bit off that next week.

Had a day off on Thursday, my back was still a bit niggly so I thought it was best to give it another rest.  On Friday it was cold and wet all day - not a valid reason for not running, but one which won the day I have to admit.   I didn't go to my regular Friday night kettlebell class either, though I did have a valid excuse for that - my choir concert was on Sunday and the last rehearsal session was on Friday night so I couldn't afford to miss it. 

Saturday was so lovely that I planned to run after work, but I was pretty tired when I got home, so another day off - this time with a valid reason!!

Sunday was Mother's day as you all know, so I was brought breakfast in bed - a great start to the day :)   And another gorgeous day to run.  This time the capris came out of the drawer, and I set out on my first 'fast' run.   The plan gives guideline speeds per mile, but the blurb with it says that if you cant achieve the suggested speed you should simply make sure that you are running 'outwith your comfort zone'. 

Nick came out with me, and encouraged me round a 3 mile loop which definitely felt outwith my comfort zone!  We included quite a bit on the Cycle Track which was pretty busy with dog walkers and cyclists - nice to see!   And did Nick do a good job!  My average speed per mile was 9min 33sec, which I am really pleased with.  It is also at the fast end of the guideline speed for the run - I hadn't expected to achieve that. 

My choir concert at night also went really well - so an iffy week finished on an all round high!!

No comments:

Post a Comment