Thursday 16 February 2012

A week of struggles.......

Training continues folks with some good sessions but its having a big impact on my energy levels and general well being.  Last Thursday's night at the track was particularly hard and after an intensive spin class on Friday, my long plod on Saturday was a bit of a struggle and not as enjoyable as it should be.  On the bright side I was joined by my partner Keith who is also a runner but just not quite as "into it"as I am.  It was great to have his company though.  He joined me at 4 miles and ran with me longer than he anticipated to keep me going on my last few miles  (did 11 in total).  Felt really beat after it and put it down to not enough recovery after the Thursday night track session.  Its a bit of a vicious circle.  Ideally I'd do an easier session on a Saturday and my long run on Sunday but as I'm out with the club for the hard fartlek session on a Monday, the long run on a Sunday isnt ideal either.  So this weekend for my long run I'm going back to using gels to give me some energy on the way round and see if that makes a difference.  One of the pitfalls of being older is I need longer to recover. The mind is willing but the body is struggling!!

Sunday was therefore a rest day from running and by Monday I was running well again.  Weather was good and we had a good group of runners.  The cycle track, although dark wasnt nearly as daunting as the week before and the run was quite enjoyable and a good session.  However returned home with a niggle in my ankle and have been nursing it all week.  Honestly if its not one thing its another!!

A highlight of the week as a night off on Tuesday for Valentines night, and a great meal out with Keith at the Amber Regent in Glasgow. One of the advantages of training hard is you can work it all off and eat what you like on nights like this - and of course have a few glasses of wine!  Yum!

Wednesday was a good day as I had taken annual leave and had the morning off.  I had decided to do a bit of a longer run again as this seems to be my biggest problem just now - the long slow plods.  So went out and ran 8.2 miles with my "niggling ankle".  Weather was really nice - sunny and there was actually some heat in the sun.  Had too many clothes on and had to de-layer as I went - never seem to get this right!  But at least it felt like spring.

Now for a moan.  What is it with people and runners.  Where I run ( in Paisley) people are far from accommodating to runners that they meet.  They walk 4 abreast on pavements and when they see you coming they just expect you to step off the pavement and onto the road.  Dog walkers are guilty of this too (don't get me started on dogs!)  I'm thinking that next time it happens I might just run straight through them.  Would that be bad???  There are good people too who go single file to let you pass but they are definitely in the minority.  Maybe it's just Paisley.

So tonight I'm back at the track. I think the session is 20 x 400 metres which will be fast and hard.  Just hoping my wee ankle holds out - might have to cut back a bit and do less.  Not good but better than being injured and out for months.

One other thing I did this week was enter some races - the Springburn 10K on the 10th March and the Alloa Half on the 18th.  Downslide of the Alloa Half is it means I need to do a 15 miler in the next few weeks. Can't wait for that......

No comments:

Post a Comment