Sunday 26 February 2012

The morning after....

Now as that title would lead you to believe, you'll be expecting me to say I've just been out for a wild night on the town.  Far from it although I have similar lethargic feelings and a lot of sore bits.  Which leads me to my subject for today - the long run.  Yesterday, as part of my training for a forthcoming half marathon in Alloa I ran 15.5 miles.  (the 0.5 was a mistake).  I have now come to the sad conclusion that I am now in the category of "overtrained" and am paying the price.  Its not just this one run that has led me to this conclusion, its a serious of things that have started to happen over the last 2-3 weeks - slight injuries, never feeling refreshed when I waken up in the morning, wakening earlier than normal, struggling to finish workouts and feeling really thirsty at night time.  And the cause - training too much with limited or no proper rest days.

Yesterday's long run - which I did complete - was a real struggle.  It should have felt hard but with the amount of training I've done it should have been much easier than it did,

The route itself was flat and fast - from Paisley out to Braehead - round Ikea and back (not actually stopping to shop in Ikea I hasten to add, just running round it!).  Going out was better than back where I battled the wind for the last 6 miles.  It was early Saturday morning - dry and reasonably bright so not the worst of days for a run (apart from the wind).  I had decided to start using Gels again - something which until last year I wouldn't have done.  They are probably pretty essential to get quick fixes of energy, although some people prefer good old jelly babies or jelly beans.  It takes a bit of getting used to - trying to suck the gel out the sachet and run and its thick and sticky which makes you thirsty too, but for about the next 5 miles you do feel that you have got some energy back.  I took mine at 6.5 miles and I'd say it got me round to 12 miles before I felt empty again.  Next time I do this distance (won't be for a long time), I'll take 2.

The reason for the 15 plus mile run yesterday was to build my confidence in running a half marathon.  I am first and foremost (and always will be) a 10K runner. Lovely manageable distance where you can challenge time, avoid inury and run often.  But, I do like a challenge and the Half is that for me.  It is also good for my endurance (or ability to "suffer") and so I'm doing it as a way to improve my 10K time and hit my 41 mins this year, hopefully at the Women's 10K in May.  As you will know the Half Marathon is just over 13 miles, so by running 15 ish miles my body (and mind) should find the 13 easier in 3 weeks time (3 weeks is seen by our coach as the ideal amount of time out for a last long run before a race).  So for anyone training for the 10K for the first time, try if you can, and do an 8 miler about a month-3 weeks before the big day and it will make you feel better on the day!

It hasn't all been bad this week. On Wednesday I had a really good hour long sports massage from Lynn (who is also writing a blog for the women's 10k on this site).  My partner Keith had given me massage vouchers for Valentine's Day as its one of my favourite methods of relaxation.  Having said that however, Lynn has the ability to find bits that you didn't even know were sore and she found one in my glute and lots in my lower legs.  Ouch!  But with the help of her healing hands and her laser I felt great at the end and had the best sleep in ages!  Thanks Lynn! 

So back to where I started - overtraining - and my plan to get back on track.  Although I am loathed to do this, this week is going to have to be a real recovery week for me.  Just key run sessions but at a lighter intensity and no weights to try and let my body recover and get back on track.  If I don't I could burn out completely. 

Sounds good I hear you say, but the problem is that I love to run. I love to train and I miss it like mad when I can't do it.  So this is maybe just a warning sign and if I cut back for a week I might just bounce back and be back to my usual self in no time at all.  I really hope so.....

PS as a final thought, I read this week about a man who is 60 and is running 60 marathons in 60 weeks - if you google "60 in 60 at 60" you will find it.  Hats off to him - the very thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment