Thursday 4 March 2010

Just completed a 6.5k run in glorious sunshine! I have a week off work and what a difference it's made to my motivation to just get out there during the day, I'm finding I actually want to go out rather than I have to go out.

I think I've mentioned previously that I'm not really new to running but it's the first time I've commited to running a race and therefore training for it and it really does make a big difference. I've kept my running up continually now since the start of the year however I've really stepped it up in the last month, the time when I would normally be trailing off from my promise to myself at the start of the year to exercise more. I can feel the difference in my fitness levels now and I feel better in myself, more alert and energized in general. So if any of you girls out there are thinking about signing up for the Women's 10K in May my advice would be just go for it because it makes running worthwhile, gives you a goal and something to focus on plus I just keep thinking about what a fantastic day it's going to be!

I'm going to stick to working on my distance at the moment, perhaps working up to 8K by the end of March, rather than focus on my speed as the most important thing to me at the moment is to keep going and not stop mid-run, otherwise I can't get going again! Planing on running the Women's 10K route early April to get an idea of much work I've got to do before 9th May!

Will catch up with you soon and all the best with your training meantime! x

3 comments:

  1. Hello Laura - are you doing the Glasgow Network 5K on 28 March? Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura. The weather is definitely making a difference. It sometimes feels like the streets are full of runners now! I focus on distance too, who cares about speed, we're not trying to be athletes and at least we are still out there doing it! :-)xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi laura xx that was the motivation i needed reading your blog...i really struggled on sunday for the 5k ...running outside is so different from the treadmill, i ran/walked for half an hour today outside...will need to do this more xx

    ReplyDelete