Monday 25 January 2010

What have I done......?!

I don't know what's scarier right now....the thought of completing my first ever Women's 10k or committing to writing this blog from now till the 9th of May!

No longer can I kid myself about my training schedule, healthy diet regime, target finishing time - if I blog it, I'll have to do it. But then, even telling people that you are running the Women's 10k doesn't necessarily guarantee the medal, t-shirt, and goody bag, come race day. If only you could get all that for just talking about it (so that's where I was going wrong for the past 10 years....) but to my dismay you actually have to follow through and run the blinking thing.

See, I had a bit of a bad experience last year. Even though my best friend and I started training early (before New Year and resolution fever) and joined one of the Glasgow Running Network's Beginners 10k courses, I managed to bottle it before May arrived and on the day of the Women's 10k I was nowhere to be seen when my friends were lining up to face the challenge. I was absolutely gutted but had convinced myself that I just wouldn't manage it (if only I had believed all those people who told me it was perfectly okay to walk/jog or even walk the entire thing). However, a month later I completed my first official race, a nice friendly and not at all scary 5k, and proudly displayed my Race For Life medal on my desk at work. I then ran the Great Scottish Run 10k in September with a time of 1:15 (who cares about the time, I actually finished it, much to my disbelief!).

So even though I can now say that I have run a 10k, and got the medal to prove it (I do love a medal!), I still have the spectre of the Women's 10k haunting me from last year. Plus, the race t-shirt is really cool!

I'm really looking forward to writing all about my training experiences in the coming months, and hope people feel inspired to leave comments about their experiences, especially any girls who are as feart as me!

2 comments:

  1. I know you can do it this year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that writing it down is a huge part of the process towards doing it - well done! It really is an amazing day and you are going to feel so proud of yourself when you wake up on 10 May! Keep us all posted - Pippa

    ReplyDelete