Tuesday 10 February 2009

Week 4

I started this week with me usually routine (ie second week in a row!!). Spin on Monday and Body Balance on Tuesday. The usual girl who takes both classes was ill with the flu so we had different people taking them. Really enjoyed spin but found it a bit more intense on the thighs this week. Walking up the 2 flights of stairs to work on Tuesday was a struggle! But it’s an amazing cardio workout and you can really feel it making a difference. The encouragement you get from the trainer means you push yourself that bit harder. The class is a really mixed group too, so you never feel out of place.

Body Balance was also someone different and did a different routine but again I really enjoyed it (although my balance still isn’t very good!). I’m hoping that after a few weeks me “core” will improve and therefore balance will be better.

After running a mile averaging 11.2kph last Sunday, I went for a run on Saturday hoping to do longer at a good speed. I managed 2 miles at 10.8kph, just short of the 10.9kph needed for a 55 minute 10k. (I really must decide whether to think in km or miles!!!! All this jumping around between them must be confusing for anyone reading this!!)

Felt really pleased with myself for doing that distance and speed at such an early stage in my training this year. Also did some weights once I got back in which meant I could go to Pizza Hut guilt free later on in the afternoon.

I went out for another run on Sunday and did 3km in total. First 2.5km I was averaging 10.9kph, bang on target pace. However I was running into a massive head wind, it was freezing and I was running up a hill! So by the time I reached 3km I had tears streaming down my face with the wind and my average had dropped to 10.7kph. But with 3 and a half months to go to be able to do a quarter of the distance at target pace, I’m not too disappointed!

To help my 10k training I also signed up for two other runs this week. A 5k run for Combat Stress at Glasgow Green and a 6km at Strathclyde Park, both in March. I saw the leaflet for the Combat Stress run at Glasgow Club Easterhouse the other week and thought it would be ideal preparation. Hopefully by then I’ll be able to dot the full 5km distance at my target 10k pace, if not quicker….!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment