Tuesday 10 February 2009

Week 2

I started the second week of training with a Spin class. The other half and I have just joined the Glasgow Club with a couples Fitness Unlimited membership. As well as giving you access to all the gyms and swimming pools you also get into all the fitness classes as part of the membership!

We went to the class at Glasgow Club Easterhouse on Monday night and really enjoyed it. The instructor was fantastic and allowed everyone to go at their own pace, which was more encouraging than being shouted at for not keeping up! The next day I booked Spin for the following week along with a Body Balance Class on the Tuesday night. One of the benefits of membership is that you can book on-line through the Glasgow Club website.

This week I also signed up for the Ignis Asset Management Women’s 10k through the Run Glasgow website. It was very easy to do and I ended up singing up for the combined Great Scottish Run entry and saved myself some money. I put a target time of 55 minutes for both of them, so if I don’t achieve it in May there is always September.

Back to training, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I did nothing! But on Friday I managed to get out and I was determined I was going to do 5k. I piled the clothes on and headed off. Started really well but once I hit 4k I felt I was struggling with the heat from my extra layers!! I hate Scottish winters. Anyway, I pushed on and did the 5k in 29m 5seconds. Slow by some people’s standards I know, but for my first decent run for a while I was really happy to get under 30 mins (even if only by 4 seconds).

On Saturday we went to the gym. Our usual gym at Glasgow Club Easterhouse was getting refurbished so we went to Glasgow Club Haghill instead. That’s the great thing about the Glasgow Club membership, you have such a wide choice of facilities across the city. Did a quick run on the treadmill then weights, before going across to Glasgow Club Whitehill for a swim. All that exercise meant I didn’t feel to guilty about the curry and Baileys on Saturday night!

On Sunday it started to snow just as I was about to go out for a run so I only managed 2.5k. I did average 10.2kph however, so it was at a faster pace than my 5k on Friday at least.

All in all, 2nd week of training not too bad but I think there is plenty of room for improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment