Tuesday 5 May 2009

Week 17

One week to go!!! Can’t believe how fast the weeks have gone since I started this blog!

After not doing too much last week, I had quite a full training week this week. Monday night was back to Spin class. Had missed it the last 2 weeks so was looking forward to getting back into it again. I found the first 20 mins of the class pretty tough but after that I think my legs suddenly remembered what they were supposed to be doing and it got easier!

Tuesday night I got along to Body Balance and felt as if I knew what I was doing a bit better than last week, which was good. I always enjoy doing Body Balance after Spin as they are so different to each other!!

Went out for a run on Wednesday night. It was the first running I’d done since my 10k the previous Wednesday, and my legs were feeling tired, probably from Spin on Monday night! I ended up just doing 3.22k (2 miles) in 17mins 19secs, averaging 11.1kph. First mile was 8m 24s, second 8m 54s. Decided not to push myself too far as I wasn’t quite feeling up for it and had a lot more running planned for the next few days!

Since it was a fairly short run on Wednesday I went back out again for another run on Thursday. Unfortunately my GPS watch battery ran out after about a kilometre so I don’t know exactly what I did, but I know the route pretty well now so I ran for about 6.5k, and I think it was in about 37-38mins.

Had a rest day on Friday, then got back out for another run on Saturday. It was a hot afternoon and I decided just to try for a fast 5k rather than a longer run, ended up managing to do the 5k in 27m 16s, averaging 11kph. My first mile was 8m 41s, second 9m and third 8m43. The second mile was running uphill as you can probably tell from the times!

As it was a holiday Monday I gave myself a break from the running on Sunday to go out Monday instead. I still wanted to get out for a final long run before the 10k, but woke up to a typical holiday Monday weather of high winds and rain! I took ages to work up the enthusiasm to get outside, and once I did manage to get out, I nearly turned straight back into the house again! I pushed myself as much as I could though, and am pleased to say I managed 7k, which under the circumstances I think it was a good distance to last! I did it in 39m 45s, averaging 10.6kph.

Considering half the run was into really strong winds where I felt I was running on the spot though, I am definitely not too disappointed! I actually feel that run showed how much I have improved, simply because I didn’t give up during the run. I used to give up so easily when struggling but I feel now that I know I can do it, and that does help keep me gong when it’s hurting! My mile splits were 9m 49s for the first, second 9m 19s, third 9m 6s and fourth 9m 12s.

After my run and since I was already drenched through, we decided to go swimming at Glasgow Club Easterhouse Pool. I managed to swim a few lengths before we went into the steam room to unwind!!

Well with less than a week now till the 10k, I feel I’ve done almost as much preparation as I can do. This week I’ll try to do a couple of light runs after work to get my legs moving but not tire them out too much, so hopefully I’ll be fresh for Sunday! I feel I’ve been fighting off the cold for a couple of days now so really hoping that doesn’t come to anything….!

I’m going to post one more blog on Saturday before the race just to let you all know how my final preparations are coming on so enjoy your last week of training!

And of course, look out for my post race blog where I’ll give you my in depth review of the whole day!!! Getting really excited about it now!

1 comment:

  1. I've been folowing your training blog & your times are quite close to mine. Thank you for making me feel like all the hours spent training in all weathers is very much worthwhile. Lets hope that it all goes to plan tomorrow. All the very best to you & everybody else. Lets hope for a wee bit scottish drizzle & no wind!
    Cheers, Yvonne - Alexandria.

    ReplyDelete