Monday 20 April 2009

Week 15

3 weeks to go!!

Well my last entry went up to the Monday rather than Sunday being the Easter weekend, so this one will start at Tuesday instead…er actually make that Wednesday as I had a rest night on Tuesday (legs were rather exhausted after a 6k race on Sunday and then running 10k on Monday! Actually come to think of it I rested on Wednesday night also….so onto Thursday!

After two days of no running I was looking forward to getting the trainers back on. The other half had recommended that I mix my running up a bit, as I tend to run very even paced, so I went out on Thursday night aiming to try for 5k but starting off faster than usual. It worked well, as I ended up running the 5k in 26mins 41secs, smashing my previous best ever 5k time achieved last year by 40secs, and about a minute faster than my best this year! I averaged 11.2kph, first mile was 8m 23s, second 8m 52s and third 8m 34s! It was one of those runs were everything seemed to work and I felt great, wish it felt like that all the time!

On Saturday morning we decided to return to the scene of last week’s 6k, Strathclyde Park. Other Half took off ahead of me, so unlike last week I was running alone. I completed 6k in 33m 25s, a whole minute faster than last Sunday! Must have been the other half slowing me down…..! I averaged 10.8kph, the highest average I’ve had for a distance longer than 5k! I did the first mile in 8m 47s, second 8m 54s and third 9m 08m.

Saturday afternoon we took a trip out to Run 4 It at the Tiso Glasgow Outdoor Experience. As we are both planning on doing a lot of running over the summer (me for the GSR 10k and him for the half marathon) we wanted to get gait analysis undertaken, which is where the trained sales staff examine your feet and running style on the treadmill that they have in the shop! The staff in there were excellent, we must have spend about a hour and a half in the shop, trying on different trainers and getting to test them out after finding out the best style for each of us. It was really interesting and was great having knowledgeable and helpful staff! I definitely would recommend anyone to go along and get yourself fitted for a decent pair of trainers if you are planning on doing a lot of running! While there I also put my name down to come along to the Women’s 10k evening they are having on Tuesday night. It sounds really interesting and Yvonne Murray is going to be there also so should be a fun night.

Went out for a run again on Sunday afternoon but I’m quite ashamed to admit I only lasted 2 miles before wilting in the heat! I did it in a good time, 17m 21s averaging 11.1kph, first mile 8m 30s and second 8m 50s, but my throat was so dry and I had no energy left in my legs so decided to call it a day at that point! Note to self, on hot days like today drink more water before going out!! Ideal running conditions for me are definitely cooler evenings rather than hot afternoons!

Well I had wanted to try attempt another 10k this week but unfortunately that didn’t happen….hopefully will get closer one night this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment