Monday 16 March 2009

Week 10

Another mixed week, the first half of the week was great but then it ended really disappointing…the highs and lows of running I guess!

Monday and Tuesday night was my usual Spin and Body Balance classes, enjoyed them as usual, although I felt at Spin as though my legs were working independently of my brain! I always come out of Spin knowing I’ve had a good workout, but Monday was even more so than usual! I think I spun too hard…..! Going to Body Balance the following night is definitely a nice contrast after the hard work out of the day before!

On Wednesday night I managed to take advantage of the nice weather when I got home from work and go out for a run…except by time I got all my running clothes on and back outside the rain had started!! I was motivated by that point anyway, so still went out for a quick run. I think I’ve mentioned before that once round my block is 1.25k, I went round twice, so 2.5k in total, and did it in 13mins 46secs, an average of 10.9kph. So that’s a quarter of the race done at the target pace….just need to do that a further 3 times in a row! Felt really good from it though, I’d forgotten how much better I run at night!

I managed to get back out again on Thursday night, this time I’d aimed to run 3 times round the block, so about 3.75k, however I was feeling pretty good again so ended up doing 4k in total. My time was 22mins 21secs, averaging 10.8kph, so was pretty pleased with that. Hopefully I can get back in a routine of going out for a run after work a couple of times a week as I really think it will help my running. The one piece of advice I’d say to anyone is that you need to get your running clothes on as soon as you get in the house, I find that if I sit down its very hard to get back up again! And unlike the Glasgow Club you can’t book to go out running so the only motivation is yourself! (Or your other half kicking you out the door….! At least he had a lovely meal waiting on me when I got back from my run on Wednesday thought so he’s not all bad!)

By that point I was feeling pretty good about Sunday, and was going to give myself Friday off, then go for another run on Saturday before my 6k race on Sunday, but Friday I started coming down with the cold. A few people in my office had been feeling ill with it during the week so I guess not altogether surprising that I caught it also, and as the day went on I was getting more and more blocked up! I completely rested on Saturday, still hoping to be able to run Sunday, but I woke up on Sunday feeling really run down so I decided not to go. I knew I didn’t have the energy to run it, and no point forcing myself and perhaps making my cold worse. It’s really annoying to not be able to take part in a run that you have signed up for, but I have found another 6k at Strathclyde Park in April on the Jog Scotland website. I check out their events page regularly incase there are any runs coming up that I’m interested in doing, so I am going to sign up to that as another training race before May. It’s a 6k and a 10mile, think the 6k will be plenty though for me! Hopefully I won’t be floored with the cold too long and can get back into my routine soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment